Something to Brighten Up the Haiti Orphanage: A Dolly Mural!

Wednesday, February 24, 2010


I thought I would surprise the orphanage with a Hanging Haiti ‘We Love You!’ (On Vous Aime) Dolly Mural! Being an artist I couldn’t imagine my home without paintings on the walls to brighten up the place …. make it cozy …. make it mine. But canvas and paint can be so easily damaged. I wanted to give the orphanage something that could be taken with them if they ever had to move … something I could make from what I had in my home…..

Now I’m a real newbie when it comes to fabric murals, my weapon of choice is a paintbrush so please, be gentle with me!


I take my hat off to all the quilters out there…. This is soooo much harder than it looks! If you haven’t tried this kind of thing before, you should, its fabulous fun! You can make things 3d (like my trees and dollies!) and add texture ooowww I enjoyed it, but boy did I learn a lot of what NOT to do!!! (and no, I didn’t have a book or pattern to follow…. Silly Sarah!)


So with that said I have decided not to kid myself and write a tutorial on how I made this, because I’d never make it this way again! Talk about taking the long way round! If I have some time, I will make a mini hanging (it has fabric loops along the top!)  Haiti mural and I promise to do a tutorial with that one :) – minus my mistakes!

I signed it from us all in the Dolly Donations community! As I keep saying, I couldn’t do this alone! So thank you all for making this possible!


Hope you like my first ever fabric hanging Dolly Mural!

Happy Sewing!

21 comments:

A.Rhodes February 24, 2010 at 6:35 AM  

I love it Sarah great job

three critters February 24, 2010 at 7:24 AM  

absolutely love this mural! - and this project

Joy February 24, 2010 at 7:28 AM  

Thats just lovely, well done you. x

Poppy February 24, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

What a wonderful idea. You did such a fantastic job. I really like all of the little details to capture the kids' imaginations.

Karen February 24, 2010 at 8:44 AM  

Sarah it's GORGEOUS. What a generous gift.

Karen

Sarah February 24, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

Thanks everyone! I’m so pleased with how it turned out, glitter paint and all ;) ..... It's a shame though, my photos really don't show how 3d the trees and dollies are ....... ho hum ... next time ;)

FeltLikeStitchin February 24, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

Oh my goodness - that's absolutely gorgeous!
It's obvious you had a fun time making it and it looks incredible - well done!!!

jeanie* m a d e February 24, 2010 at 10:49 AM  

beautiful! I love it, you are so talented!

Jennie February 24, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

Just brilliant! What a wonderful idea and thing to do! Sometimes the best things come about by just getting in there and having a go.xJ

Vonnie February 24, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

Sarah that is FABULOUS!!

Sarah February 24, 2010 at 6:20 PM  

Thanks! You are all too kind! I had such fun making it :)

tom February 25, 2010 at 12:06 AM  

Looks great Sarah! I'm curious, are you aware there's a National Quilt Museum? (It's in Paducah, KY and my mom works there...) I'm not an official spokesperson nor would even pretend to be, but they might be interested in your story... http://www.quiltmuseum.org/

Laurel H. February 25, 2010 at 8:35 AM  

Wow; this is great! Nicely done!

Sarah February 25, 2010 at 8:50 AM  

Thanks Tom, i'll check it out (maybe you could put a good word in with your mom ... and see if they'll help spread the word :) )


Thanks Laurel, that's very sweet of you!

Cathy February 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM  

Wow Sarah, It is wonderful! So cute and fun and full of joy!!! I think you are a natural at the murals with your background!!! I am proud of you!!! ♥♥♥

Sarah February 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM  

Thank you Cathy, but i could use a few lessons from you!!! ♥

bido February 25, 2010 at 10:03 PM  

Wow! That is A LOT of work. Beautiful!

lk moonwood February 27, 2010 at 6:54 PM  

Absolutely lovely! I am so impressed with ALL the heart-felt things you do. You are truly inspiring!
: ) lulu

Sarah February 27, 2010 at 7:01 PM  

Thank You Lulu I really appreciate that :) You just made my weekend!

annette March 19, 2010 at 2:04 PM  

Sarah - your mural is so lovely, with such touching details, what a beautiful gift!

Sarah March 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM  

Thank You Annette! I posted it off today! Soo exciting :)

Post a Comment



I ♥ comments and try to reply to all of them!


Thanks so much for stopping by & Happy Sewing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP