Everybody Deserves a Dolly!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010


My favorite dolly was a rag doll named Holly Hobby. I lost her on the train back from London (I’m originally from the UK) with my mother when I was 5. My mother called the station and before she knew it, Holly was on the next train back to us with a band aid (plaster) on her knee and a cute note from the staff. I was so happy to see her again, and glad that she would be feeling better now she was safely back with me after her adventure.

The wonderful thing about a Dolly is it lets a child’s imagination flow, whether they are a little boy or a little girl. With a dolly by their side, they are never lonely, they have someone to talk to, to hug and hold tight, and of course to play with!


Think how important your favorite dolly, stuffed toy, or blanky was to you ….. doesn’t it bring a lovely warm smile to your lips when you picture it ……… come on, I know it does!!!
Watching my daughter play, and remembering how important the comfort of a toy was, I have decided to embark on an exciting journey of crafting creation! Making Dollies for Donation!

I will be providing links to free doll patterns and uploading some fun free patterns of my own for others out there that want to join in the fun of making a Dolly for a child who would otherwise have nothing to call their own.

12 comments:

Anonymous,  January 18, 2010 at 11:01 AM  

My Dolly was called Rosebud, she went everywhere with me... she's sitting on my little girl's bed!! I think this is a wonderful idea! Can’t wait to see the patterns,
Good Luck, Jesse

Andrea on Third Street February 17, 2010 at 6:00 PM  

Sarah, my Holly Hobbie was just like this, only her dress is mostly blue and she has brown boots. She is in hard shape now, so she watches over my daughter from her bedroom bookshelf. I'm glad you got your doll back, that was so sweet!

Sarah February 17, 2010 at 7:44 PM  

Isn’t it funny what you remember from your childhood, especially now that you/we have daughters… ahhh the adventures our little ones will have. And the adventures out Dollies for donation will have!!! My, who would have thought! I keep calling my Nanna up and thanking her for teaching me to sew, I’m finally putting it to good use!!!

nicole March 20, 2010 at 3:13 AM  

I love this idea which orphange do you donate too??iam very fond of gods littlest angels orphanage in petionville.could you post pics of the kids with there dollies it would thrilling to see them with there babies..huggs..

Sarah March 21, 2010 at 8:20 PM  

Hi Nicole,

181 of the dolls will be sent to The Abundant Ground’s orphanage in Croix des Bouquets, Haiti. The rest will be passed out to the local children who have nothing to call their own.

More info can be found here:
http://dollydonations.blogspot.com/2010/01/abundant-ground-foundationn-haiti.html

I will be looking for other orphanages for another drive, mid/end of Summer!

I hope to be posting updates of these dollies journey to their new home over the next few months! It’s all very exciting,

Take care and Happy Sewing!

Eve June 15, 2010 at 8:49 AM  

I think this is a wonderful idea! For a while now I've been feeling like I want to make a doll, and now I know the purpose of that feeling. I just found your website today and I'm very happy that I did. All the very best, God bless.
Eve at Eveshouse.blogspot.com

Sarah June 15, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

So glad you found us Eve!

Lynn January 20, 2011 at 1:47 PM  

OMG I had the exact same doll and I am a lot older than you. I also came from the U.K, now in Canada
Great site, and thank you, I have made two dolls for AIDS orphans in S.Africa

Anonymous,  March 7, 2012 at 9:52 AM  

I am leaving for a medical mission in Haiti in 2 weeks. i just came across your page and am getting my fabric out today. thanks. for the great idea and pattern.

neenaballerina July 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM  

Hi Sara - you might want to check the links above, I just cut and paste and ended up somewhere a bit yuk. I think maybe a blogsite has expired and someone else has taken up the site name. Sam

Sarah@Dolls And Daydreams July 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM  

Thanks so much! Just deleted it ... phew!!! That was yuk!!!!

JANAINA AMARIZ January 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM  

Olá Sarah, depois de conhecer seu trabalho decide fazer bonecas para doações também.
www.janainaamariz.blogspot.com.br

Post a Comment



I ♥ comments and try to reply to all of them!


Thanks so much for stopping by & Happy Sewing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP