How to Make Yarn & Felt Pigtails for your Dolls

Saturday, October 27, 2012


This is Fran's first doll for the Uthando Project!!  And she's adorable! I love the pretty fabric she found and matching shoes. And what amazing eyes she painted on!   Want to know how?  Follow my free doll painting face tutorial here :)

"I never expected my first dolly to turn out so well. I used the boy body for my girl, because I didn't want to hide the pretty material, so I made a very simple skirt out of one rectangle only and a small piece of elastic at the waist." Fran


Fran didn't stop there she started sewing up a storm, and each of her lovely little dollies comes with a matching handbag and removable skirt and shoes ... oh so sweet!


Want to know how Fran made her doll's pretty yarn/wool hair?

"They are rubber-banded at the tips, and placed on the INSIDE of the "hair" part of the head, close together. When you pin down your head and body, these will stay nicely. After sewing around the body/head as usual, clip off the nubbins sticking outside of the head. When you turn your doll right-side out, the pigtails will look like the doll in the photo. Very easy to tie a ribbon around." Fran

Thanks so much Fran!  I can't wait to see your boy dolls! Take care and Happy Sewing!


How about a side ponytail?  Or to long braids either side :) Have fun with different hair styles!



Don't have any yarn?  Why not cut some felt shapes out :) Like the Circles used in my mini dolly (I drew around the bottom of my spool of thread for these but you can buy them pre-cut at most craft stores) big, small one, two or three all look cute  ... Simply use the same method as above (minus the elastic bands) of sandwiching then between the top of the head before you sew your dolly up!



Try other shapes too..... Hearts ... Ovals .... Long strips braided in to side ponytails ... Have fun!


Ta Da ... Cute Hair!!! 



Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP